1. "Two wrongs don't make a right. "
When someone has done something bad to you, trying to get revenge will only make things worse.
2. "The pen is mightier than the sword. "
Trying to convince people with ideas and words is more effective than trying to force people to do what you want.
3. "When in Rome, do as the Romans do. "
Act the way that the people around you are acting. This phrase might come in handy when you're traveling abroad notice that people do things differently than you're used to.
4. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease. "
You can get better service if you complain about something. If you wait patiently, no one's going to help you.
5. "When the going gets tough, the tough get going. "
Strong people don't give up when they come across challenges. They just work harder.
6. "No man is an island. "
You can't live completely independently. Everyone needs help from other people.
7. "Fortune favors the bold. "
People who bravely go after what they want are more successful than people who try to live safely.
8. "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones. "
Don't criticize other people if you're not perfect yourself.
9. "Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. "
Bad things might happen, so be prepared.
10. "Better late than never. "
It's best to do something on time. But if you can't do it on time, do it late.
11. "Birds of a feather flock together. "
People like to spend time with others who are similar to them.
12. "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. "
If you have an enemy, pretend to be friends with them instead of openly fighting with them. That way you can watch them carefully and figure out what they're planning.
13. "A picture is worth a thousand words. "
Pictures convey emotions and messages better than written or spoken explanations.
14. "There's no such thing as a free lunch. "
Things that are offered for free always have a hidden cost.
15. "There's no place like home. "
Your own home is the most comfortable place to be.
16. "Discretion is the greater part of valor. "
Sometimes it's important to know when to give up and run away, instead of always acting brave and maybe getting hurt.
17. "The early bird catches the worm. "
You should wake up and start work early if you want to succeed.
18. "Never look a gift horse in the mouth. "
If someone offers you a gift, don't question it.
19. "You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs. "
When you try to do something great, you'll probably make a few people annoyed or angry. Don't worry about those people; just focus on the good results.
20. "God helps those who help themselves. "
Don't just wait for good things to happen to you. Work hard to achieve your goals.
21. "You can't always get what you want. "
Don't whine and complain if you don't get what you wanted.
Doubts on this article