1. Whisper - speak very softly
E. g. Alison was whispering in his ear.
2. Mumble - speak softly and unclearly
E. g. He mumbled something she didn't catch.
3. Mention - bring up a topic
E. g. I haven't mentioned it to William yet.
4. Enquire - ask
E. g. He enquired about cottages for sale.
5. Stutter - speak nervously, repeating the sounds
E. g. The child was stuttering in fright.
6. Stammer - speak nervously
E. g. He turned red and started stammering.
7. Whine - complain in a sad voice
E. g. There was a hint of a whine in Ajay's voice.
8. Murmur - speak softly and unclearly
E. g. Nina murmured an excuse and hurried away.
9. Narrate - to tell a story
E. g. The story is narrated by the heroine.
10. Elaborate - explain in detail
E. g. He would not elaborate on his news.
Doubts on this article