1. Always remember to greet others with a firm handshake - - but not too firm. A firm handshake is probably one of the most important body language moves, because it sets the tone for the entire conversation. Make sure your hands are clean and are not swetting before a handshake.
2. Make eye contact, but don't stare. If there are several people you are talking to, make brief eye contact with each one to create a better connection and see if they are listening.
3. Relax your shoulders. Tension is often demonstrated in your shoulders - they might move up and forward a bit. Before you go in, deliberately loosen your shoulders up by shaking them out and moving them back and down slightly.
4. Relax, smile and laugh when someone says something funny. If you give the impression of being a positive person, people will be more inclined to listen to you, but don't be the first to laugh at your own jokes. Don't be overconfident. Don't fidget with your fingers as it shows that you are nervous.
5. Slow down a bit while talking. Not only will you come across as more calm and confident, it will help calm you down too. But do not make the mistake of speaking extremely slowly.
6. Use your hands confidently, but don't fidget. Use your hands to describe something or add weight to a point you are trying to make.
To increase participation, look like you're listening. Avoid the temptation to check your text messages, check your watch, or check how the other participants are reacting.
7. Nod when people are talking. This indicates that you are listening. But take care to not overdo it.
8. Don't slouch: Sitting hunched forward, or lounging with arms and legs everywhere has the effect of looking a little too relaxed.
9. Don't touch your face. People who play with their hair or excessively touch or rub their noses can seem dishonest and untrustworthy. Also try to avoid rubbing your head or neck, it can give the impression of being bored or disinterested. And the same goes for sitting with your arms crossed, it just makes you look defensive and unapproachable.
Doubts on this article