1. The American flag, is the national flag of the United States of America.
2. It consists of thirteen equal horizontal stripes of red (top and bottom) alternating with white.
3. The 13 stripes represent the thirteen British colonies that declared independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain, and became the first states in the US.
4. It has a blue rectangle in the canton or the top left quarter. This is referred to specifically as the "union". This bears fifty small, white, five - pointed stars arranged in nine offset horizontal rows. Rows of
six stars (top and bottom) alternate with rows of five stars.
5. The 50 stars on the flag represent the 50 states of the United States of America.
6. Nicknames for the flag include The Stars and Stripes, Old Glory, and The Star - Spangled Banner.
Doubts on this article