When you have to give an interview, dressing properly is of utmost importance because technically speaking - your interview starts the moment you enter the room. The panel will judge you by the clothes you are wearing; if you dress too casually, they will feel that you are not sincere enough.
Tips for dressing right:
1. Clothing should be neat, clean, and well ironed.
2. Wear deodorant. However, don't wear too much perfume.
3. Make sure that you have fresh breath. Brush your teeth before you leave for the interview. Don't smoke right before an interview or the stench will continue to follow you around. Never enter the interview room while chewing gum.
4. Your hair should be neat, clean, well set.
5. Your nails should be neatly trimmed. For women, if you plan to wear nail polish, wear a neutral colour, and avoid very long nails.
6. Your shoes should be polished.
7. Carry a portfolio or briefcase to hold all your documents.
8. Conceal your tattoos with clothing or make up.
9. For men, either go clean shaven or if you have a beard, trim it properly.
What to wear - For Men:
1. Wear a Suit (solid color - navy or dark grey): A coat, shirt, and trousers. Avoid wearing jeans.
2. Long sleeve shirt, neatly tucked in (white or coordinated with the suit).
3. Sober Belt.
4. A tie that is not flashy.
5. Dark socks, with conservative leather shoes (ideally lace - up).
6. No jewelry.
What to wear - For Women (Western wear):
1. Generally, you should wear a suit with a skirt or pants. Knee - length skirts are suggested. When in doubt, pick the more conservative route.
2. Interview suits should be simple and dark in color.
3. Wear a conservative shirt/blouse with your suit. Do not wear bright colors, animal prints, or anything lacy, sheer, or low - cut.
4. Make - up and nail polish should be understated; shades that are neutral to your skin tone are generally advisable. Avoid bright or unusual colors or very long nails.
5. Keep your jewelry and hair accessories to a minimum, and stick to those that are not flashy, distracting, or shiny. One ring per hand is best, if necessary.
6. Shoes should be conservative and fairly low - heeled, while closed shoes are ideal. They should be in a reasonably good condition, not scuffed or run - down at the heels.
Doubts on this article