1. Good luck (भाग्य, सफलता, सौभाग्य) - used to express wishes for success.
(कसैलाई सफलताको शुभकामना दिन!)
Example: Good luck with your exams!
2. All the best (शुभकामना)
Example: All the best for your trip!
3. Break a leg (एकदम राम्रो गर्नु) - use this when someone is about to perform something, or take part in an activity, or is about to take up a big task.
Example: You have practiced a lot! Break a leg!
4. Kill it! (एकदम राम्रो गर्नु) - to do something extremely well
Example: The audience went mad after his performance! He killed it!
5. You'll do great (तिमीले एकदम राम्रो गर्नेछौ) - When somebody is about to do something important, you could say this to motivate them.
(जब कसैले केहि गर्न लागेको छ जुन उसको लागि एकदम महत्वपूर्ण छ, उसलाई प्रोत्साहन दिनको लागि र आत्मविश्वास भर्नको लागि तपाई यो भन्न सक्नु हुन्छ - You'll do great)
Example: Don't worry, you'll do great!
Other terms for luck:
1. 'Pushing your luck': When you have good luck or a good situation, but you try too hard to extend it or get an even better situation, and risk having a negative result or losing what you have achieved so far.
(जब स्तिथि राम्रो नै छ तर अझ राम्रो स्तिथिको लागि तपाई यदि प्रयास गर्दै हुनु हुन्छ र अहिलेको उपलब्धिलाई समेत खतरामा पार्दै हुनु हुन्छ भने, त्यसलाई 'Pushing your luck' भनिन्छ. )
Example: They offered me the job after a very competitive hiring process. I wanted to ask for a higher starting salary, but I felt like that would be pushing my luck.
2. The luck of the draw
This phrase means something is completely by chance or random; you cannot control it at all (similar to winning the lottery, when they “draw” – take – the winning ticket completely at random).
(जब केहि कुरा संयोगले वा अचानक हुन्छ, त्यसलाई 'the luck of the draw' भनिन्छ. )
Example: You can’t choose who you compete against in the tournament – it’s the luck of the draw.
3. As luck would have it
This phrase means “by chance. ” It can be used for both lucky things or unlucky things.
(यसका मतलब हो "संयोगले". यो भाग्यशाली र दुर्भाग्यशाली दुबैको लागि प्रयोग हुन्छ. )
Example: Lucky chance: "I called the doctor to make an urgent appointment and as luck would have it, he was available to see me the very same day. "
Doubts on this article