1. Devil's Advocate - a person who expresses a contentious opinion in order to provoke debate or test the strength of the opposing arguments.
Example: Teachers often play devil's advocate to provoke discussion in the classroom.
2. Curiosity killed the cat - being inquisitive about other people's affairs may get you into trouble.
Example: Don't ask about his break - up, curiosity killed the cat!
3. What you sow is what you reap - You eventually have to face up to the consequences of your actions.
Example: If you treat your friends like that, of course they drop you. You reap what you sow in this life.
4. A dime a dozen - very common and of no particular value.
Example: Water is treated as a dime a dozen. That is why people waste it.
5. Beat around the bush - To avoid getting to the point of an issue
Example: She never told her friend the truth. She kept beating around the bush.
6. Cold shoulder - a phrase used to express dismissal or the act of disregarding someone.
Example: He offered a cold shoulder when a stranger asked for help.
7. Fit as a fiddle - in very good health.
Example: I met her yesterday after 2 years, she looked fit as a fiddle.
Doubts on this article