Food nutrient groups:
1. Vitamin: A vitamin is an organic compound and a vital nutrient that an organism requires in limited amounts.
a. Vitamin A - Vitamin A prevents eye problems, promotes a healthy immune system, is essential for the growth and development of cells, and keeps skin healthy.
Found in: milk, eggs, carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, cantaloupe, apricots, peaches, papayas, and mangos.
b. Vitamin C - It's essential for healthy bones, teeth, gums, and blood vessels. It helps the body absorb iron, aids in wound healing, and contributes to brain function.
Found in: citrus fruits, strawberries, kiwi, guava, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, and spinach.
c. Vitamin D - Vitamin D strengthens bones because it helps the body absorb bone - building calcium.
This vitamin is unique - your body manufactures it when you get sunlight on your skin!
Found in: egg yolks, oily fish such as salmon, tuna, and sardines, and fortified foods like milk, soy milk, and orange juice.
d. Vitamin E - Vitamin E is an antioxidant and helps protect cells from damage. It is also important for the health of red blood cells.
Found in: vegetable oils, nuts, and green leafy vegetables.
2. Mineral: A chemical substance (such as iron or zinc) that occurs naturally in certain foods and that is important for good health. Calcium is the top mineral
Found in: dairy products, such as milk, cheese, and yogurt.
3. Protein: A substance found in foods (such as meat, milk, eggs, and beans) that is an important part of the human diet.
Found in: Yogurt, cheese, egg, beef.
4. Carbohydrates: They contain hydrogen and oxygen in the same ratio as water (2:1) and typically can be broken down to release energy in the animal body.
Found in: bread, beans, milk, popcorn, potatoes, cookies, spaghetti, soft drinks.
5. Fat: Fats are organic compounds that are made up of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen. They are a source of energy in foods.
Found in: Avocado, Cheese, Dark chocolate, eggs, fish
Doubts on this article