A massive fire on Sunday evening engulfed the stage during a cultural extravaganza at the 'Make In India Week' event here, officials said.
The blaze broke out during a Lavani performance at the mega event at Girgaum, the BMC Disaster Control said.
Maharashtra Governor C. V. Rao, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and his wife Amruta Fadnavis, Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and his wife Rashmi Thackeray, actors Amitabh Bachchan and Aamir Khan, ministers, parliamentarians, legislators, and other prominent personalities witnessing the performance were shifted to safer places.
The BMC said the fire could have been caused by an electric short - circuit.
At least 14 fire tenders were rushed to the site where the stage was totally gutted.