President Pranab Mukherjee's address to the joint sitting of the two houses of parliament on Tuesday highlighted several achievements of the government in the past calendar year, including the highest generation of electricity and largest immunisation of children.
The Narendra Modi government will complete two years in office in May this year, and 2015 was its first full calendar year in power.
Here are some of the achievements of the government in the past calendar year mentioned in the address:
- The highest number of new cooking gas connections to the rural poor were distributed in 2015.
- The highest urea fertilizer production was achieved in 2015.
- The largest number of children fully immunized in a single year was in 2015.
- In 2015, India witnessed the highest generation of electricity.
- The highest increase in railway capital expenditure was achieved in 2015.
- The country recorded the highest software exports during 2015.
- India recorded the highest foreign exchange reserves in 2015.
- The country recorded the highest production of motor vehicles in 2015.