1. Break up - to be inaudible over the mobile phone
Sorry, could you repeat that, please? You are breaking up.
2. Phone in - call in by telephone to a central person or central point
I have to phone in and report the changes
3. Call back - to return a phone call
She said she'll call back.
4. Call up - call someone on the phone
My dad called me up to tell me the good news
5. Get through - to contact by telephone
I finally got through on his mobile
6. Hold on - wait for a short time.
Could you hold on a moment, please?
7. Cut off - when a telephone call finishes because of bad connection
We were cut off in the middle of the conversation.
8. Hang up - end a telephone call by putting the phone down
I hung up after he started yelling
9. Pick up - answer the telephone call
The phone rang and rang and nobody picked up
10. Put through - connect by phone
Could you put me through to the manager, please?
11. Speak up - speak louder
Can you speak up a bit? It's very noisy here.
12. Get back to someone - call someone later
I will find that out and get back to you soon.
13. Get off - finish talking on the phone
I just got off the phone with Dad. He is doing well.
14. Turn on - connect using the power button
Your own greeting is displayed instead of an animation when you turn on the phone
15. Pass on - (A message) - to communicate (to convey) a message to someone else.
Did you pass on my message to him?
Doubts on this article